Since the start of the year we’ve been promoting remodeling every Thursdays, as well as our photo contest on Facebook. By the way, if you haven’t uploaded your bathroom or kitchen remodeling photos yet – go to Plumbtile’s Facebook page and look for the Photo Contest tab. You can also click this link: http://a.pgtb.me/4pnqmH to go straight to the contest! You can read the instructions there on how to win $1000 worth of bath and kitchen products.
The response to the Remodeling series has been positive and more and more readers have been asking about how to do specific remodeling stuff. We have decided to relaunch the Remodel Thursday series and focus on specific areas of remodeling.
This March, Plumbtile will be teaching you…
Today’s “how-to” is a back-to-back post about how to (1) install or replace a toilet bowl and its (2) proper maintenance. At Plumbtile, we have several brands that are easy to install- and with the help of our dependable sales consultants, you will be able to choose one that suits your style, budget and needs.
HOW TO INSTALL OR REPLACE THE TOILET
- The toilet flange (or the mounting base) must be prepared first before starting this project. Depending on your bowl’s manufacturer, you need to align bolts (usually two) in the holes on the sides of the flange. Position these bolts directly across from each other. Follow the manufacturer’s instruction manual that come with your toilet bowl. Modern styles have different ways of mounting the flange.
- Then arrange the new toilet into place by placing a wax ring or gasket around the edge of the drain hole. Place the toilet on top of the wax ring, placing the bolts in the holes on the side of the toilet. Slowly press down until the toilet is seated flush with the floor.
- To install the new toilet, slide the washers over the bolts and tighten the nuts until snug. Do not over tighten or you can crack the ceramic. Apply the rubber gasket to the bottom of the tank. Set the bolts in the holes on the tank and set the tank on the back of the toilet bowl. Add washers and nuts to the bolts and tighten. Bolt the new toilet lid to the bowl with the bolts, washers and nuts.
- Connect the water line from the floor to the tank. Turn on the water and make sure there are no leaks.
- You can adjust the new toilet hardware by sawing off the extra length of the bolts protruding from the floor using a small hacksaw. Clip the plastic bolt caps into place. You may want to caulk the base of the bowl to create waterproof seal.Stuck? Read the full instructions here.
Click here for Part 2 – Maintaining your Toilet: Cleaning
Toilets, bidets, urinals, handles, levers and more. Plumbtile.com carries the fullest array of toilets, bidets and accessories for both home and commerical needs.
Our Bath and Home Improvement Showroom features toilet and bidet products from brand name manufacturers, Cifial, Danze, Duravit, Hastings, Herbeau, Kohler, Lacava, Porcher, Sterling, Sunrise and Toto.
With exceptional service, free shipping and guaranteed price matching, Plumbtile.com can make your home improvement or commercial building experience simpler and far less expensive. From the home renovation project to the commercial construction industry, no order is too small or too large.
Please feel free to call our sales
associates at any time or browse through the brands listed below: